Important Things to Know about Salicylic Acid
How is salicylic acid used?
The gentle exfoliating benefits of salicylic acid can be found in cleansers, lotions, creams and other skincare formulations designed specifically for rough and bumpy skin and psoriasis. When used as directed, these products can help you get smoother, healthier looking skin.
How does salicylic acid work?
Salicylic acid helps exfoliate the skin by loosening the “glue” that holds skin cells together. By promoting their natural shedding, salicylic acid helps loosen dead skin cells to reveal fresh, healthy-looking skin. This light exfoliation can also help prevent pores from becoming clogged with dead skin cells, which can help minimize acne. At certain levels, salicylic acid also helps improve the symptoms of psoriasis by reducing scaling and helping to prevent their recurrence.
Is extra sun protection necessary when using salicylic acid?
Every skincare regimen (with or without salicylic acid) should include a daily sunscreen that is applied every morning, rain or shine, and reapplied at least every two hours during extended periods of sun exposure. However, salicylic acid’s exfoliating effects can leave the skin more vulnerable to UV rays, so taking extra sun protection measures is recommended.
Who should use salicylic acid?
With gentle exfoliating benefits for rough or bumpy skin and skin conditions like psoriasis, salicylic acid has far-reaching benefits.
Explore Our Ingredients
- Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid in Skincare | Ingredients | CeraVe UK
- Glycolic And Lactic Acid | Ingredients For Skincare | CeraVe UK
- Niacinamide - Vitamin B3 | Ingredients For Skincare | CeraVe UK
- Retinol - Vitamin A Derivative | Skincare Ingredients | CeraVe UK
- Salicylic Beta-hydroxy Acid |Skincare Ingredients | CeraVe UK
- Squalane - Petrolatum | Ingredients For Skincare | CeraVe UK
- Urea - Humectant | Ingredients For Skincare | CeraVe UK